Domestic Violence and Homeless Shelter Resources
Updated April 2017
Please note, shelter policies may change without notice. We strive to keep this list current. If you feel you have experienced discrimination or been denied shelter due to your actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, please call our 24 hour hotline at 1-888-557-4441 to speak with an on call advocate or fill out our reporting form.
All of the information below was gathered by SOL directly from staff at each respective shelter.
Shelter Resources Open to All Regardless of Gender Identity or Expression
- Attention Homes (Boulder and Broomfield County Youth 20 and younger) 303-447-1207
- Boulder Shelter for the Homeless (Boulder) 303-442-4646
- Crossroads Safehouse (Ft. Collins Domestic Violence Program) 970-482-2502 Hotline. Must have a former or current intimate relationship with the abuser to be eligible for shelter.
- Urban Peak (Denver & Colorado Springs Youth 14-24 years) 303-777-9198 Identification not required, youth self identify their gender during intake. Transgender youth are placed in the male or female dorm depending on where they feel safest. Youth under 18 must obtain permission to serve from their parent or legal guardian. If parental/guardian permission cannot be obtained, staff must contact Dept. of Human Services.
- Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Non-Violence (Boulder Domestic Violence Program) 303-444-2424 hotline Notes: Facilities include private rooms with bathroom, male children up to age 17 are accepted with parent.
- Women’s Crisis and Family Outreach Center (Douglas County Domestic Violence Program) 303-688-8484 hotline
- Safe Shelter of St. Vrain Valley (Longmont Domestic Violence Program) 303-772-4422 hotline
- Eastern Plains Safe Shelter (Lincoln County Domestic Violence Program) 1-888-602-6226 hotline
- Tu Casa (serving San Luis Valley counties) 1-719-589-2465 hotline
- A Woman's Place ( Weld county Domestic Violence Program) 970-356-4226 hotline
Shelters Resources Open to Transgender Women
- Gateway Battered Women’s Shelter (Aurora Domestic Violence Program) 303-343-1851 hotline
- Safehouse Denver (Denver Domestic Violence Program) 303-318-9989 hotline. Accepts same gender female couples that are both experiencing threats or abuse from an ex-partner of one of the women.
- Volunteers of America, Brandon Center (Denver) 303-620-9190 Identification not required, gender neutral restroom available, male children up to 15 yr old & females up to 17 accepted with parent. Male children ages 16-17 years stay at the Family Motel while their parent is at the Brandon Center.
- TESSA (Colorado Springs Domestic & Sexual Violence Program) Same gender couple with and without children accepted.
Shelters Resources Open to Transgender Women and Men
- Delores Project (Denver) 303-534-5411 Identification not required for services, gender on ID does not have to match gender identity, gender neutral restroom and one single bathroom with private shower available.
- Family Tree, Women in Crisis (Jefferson County Domestic Violence Program)303-420-6752 hotline
- The Gathering Place (Denver Day Shelter) 1535 High St, Denver 80218 303-321-4198 Gender neutral restroom and clothing bank with women’s and men’s clothing available.
- St. Francis Center (Denver Day Shelter) 2323 Curtis St Denver 303-297-1576 Identification not required to receive services, able to accommodate transgender people and mothers with children with separate shower times, clothing bank carries clothing for men and women.
- Volunteers of America, Family Motel (Denver) 720-904-9821 Picture ID requested. Gender is based on self-identification. Women and families accepted. Contact CAVP staff if you are a single transgender man trying to access this shelter. Gender neutral restroom available by front desk.
Shelters Resources Open to GBT Men
- New Genesis (Denver) 303-638-6897 Accepts transgender men based on self-identity, gender on ID does not have to match gender identity, picture ID is required for services. Gender neutral restroom and individual shower facilities available.